The Sacraments are significant milestones in the lives of Catholics. These events are celebrated within the community of the Catholic Church. These sacred moments are celebrated as sacraments.
The Latin word sacramentum means “a sign of the sacred”. The Sacraments are ceremonies that point to what is sacred, significant and important for Christians. They are special occasions for experiencing God’s saving presence.
These Sacraments are:
- The Sacrament of Baptism
- The Sacrament of Confirmation
- The Sacrament of Holy Communion (known as First Holy Communion for first timers)
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession)
- The Sacrament of Marriage
- The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick (traditionally known as the Last Rites)